12 Reasons why you should not use Wix Website Builder
1. Not mobile friendly. Slow-loading Wix sites, that are data and graphics laden, turn off all mobile users. Only desktop users can see your site and they won’t wait longer than 5-7 seconds for a site to load. Would you?
2. Forever costs. I cannot stress enough that you are wasting your time and money using Wix.com. You get unexpected charges from WIX on your credit card. The highest-priced Wix plan is about $30 a month, or $360 a year. Forever. If you hired someone (we’d love it to be us), you could pay for a new site that would pay for itself in about 2 years with no monthly payments in perpetuity aside from the domain and hosting renewal costs.
3. Flash. In the case of many site builders, especially Wix, sites are usually created with Flash. No matter what they say, Flash is not search engine friendly. Google recommends against it.
4. Poor mobile experience. Wix claims to provide mobile versions but in our experience, they are quite poor and most of the time the branding and user experience is inconsistent with your desktop version.
5. 1 page only. Because Wix limits you to just one page (the Flash portions make it seem like you have multiple pages, but technically, you don’t.), you decrease the amount of content Google can crawl. Decreased content means fewer keywords. Fewer keywords mean fewer searchers and traffic.
6. No data. Again with the 1-page-only thing: you can’t create multiple kinds of keywords, page titles, or meta data to be indexed for other search terms. It’s like having a phone book with only 1 page.
7. Google unfriendly. Google can’t verify your site in Webmaster Tools. That may be too advanced for some right away, but for a team like us, we use Webmaster Tools to monitor site downtime, crawl rates, broken links, and search traffic.
8. Rome wasn’t built in a day. You can build a website with Wix or any other site builder in about 30 minutes. It takes more time to bake a cake. Don’t you assume your business or organization deserves more time and energy for it’s most important public-facing thing than a cake? We take anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, depending on the size and scope of a project.
9. Ads. You get a big “THIS SITE WAS CREATED WITH WIX.COM CREATE YOUR OWN FOR FREE!” banner at the bottom of your site. We put our name at the bottom of our sites because that’s what artists do. But we don’t put a big “HIRE US TO DO YOUR SITE TOO!” down there.
10. No support. If you have questions, no one can hear you scream. They have support staff, but in many cases you have to pay. Would you pay your bank or insurance company every time you called to ask a question?
11. Domain holdups. We had a phone call from a Wix user who wanted to move away from them. She had been paying for their professional design services (see #8 again for a sample of those services) for some time and was shocked to learn of the many parts of her site that wasn’t driving traffic. And she knew it wasn’t because she didn’t have any business. Now that she wanted to get away, the domain registration was tied up with Wix. Her domain name was stuck in some Wix Hell.
12. Wix is not 100% free. There will be undisclosed and / or unexpected ‘extras’. to pay for.